Skip to main content

My outline process

So I have been having a few people ask me some questions about my specific outlining process, and I always have to remind people that I didn't have one.  I don't know if I DO have one.  I'm working on the first project I have ever outlined, so I can't say I have a "process" but here is what I did.

I started with a "what if" question.  This isn't anything different from my normal writing process.  But with short stories I come up with my "what if?" question and then start writing.  With a novel, I went a little further.

Next, I wrote a quick plot summary. If someone were to ask me "what happens in your book?" This is what I would tell them. It contains all the big parts, but isn't very exhaustive.

Then, I wrote the detailed plot summary.  This goes beyond just the "what happens" situation.  This is the summary you would write if there was a book report assignment for your book.

After that, I wrote out all of the history and the lore.  Stuff that happened BEFORE when my book starts.  What political systems are in place, how did they get there, what year is it? etc.

Then I wrote a "stuff that needs to happen" list.  This part is pretty simple.  It lists all the things in order that need to happen. For example:

1. Reader meets main character

2. Reader meets secondary character

3. Characters need to meet each other.

and so on.

Now, I didn't add the in-between bits. The HOW of all of those things.  It just acts as a quick list for me to look to when I'm like "So...what should I be doing?" which happens a lot.

After that, I made a list of things that need to happen in Act I.  Here is my list:


  • The set up
  • Establishing mood/tone
  • The hook
  • The stakes
  • introducing the main cast
  • introducing the villain
  • Establishing of theme
  • The turning point
So I went through my list and and figured out which of those things took me up to the "turning point".  Once I discovered that, I did my scene by scene outline for ALL of Act 1 of my novel.

For each scene I listed out some things:

Characters
Setting
Mood/Tone
Scene Objective

This acts as the in between bits that I didn't have earlier.

Then I took those scenes and separated them into chapters.  It should take me 8 chapters to get through Act 1.

Once I'm done writing Act 1, I will go through outlining Act 2. I already have my "stuff that needs to happen" list, so I just need to figure out which of those things will carry me through the second act, and then I will write my scene by scene outline, and break that down in chapters, and write.  Then do the same thing with Act 3.

I can't say if this is the best method.  However, it is working well for me so far. Maybe this structured method can help some of you writers outline your projects.  I know for me, this makes my project a lot more tangible, and less overwhelming.  I can focus on an act at a time, or actually, a chapter at a time which is nice.  I have a bunch of little goals that will come together to complete a bigger one.

Now, I'm off to write!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Coffee Shop Chat!

What I Did This Week... This week has been super busy!   Sunday:  Had a meeting at Job #2 suuuuper early in the morning (I am NOT a morning person), and then it was off to church for the Palm Sunday service, which was awesome.  The church was freshly decorated for the season, and the children had a Palm Parade, where they walked around the block, waving their new palms around.  Super cute.  Then, I went to the coffee shop to TRY to get some writing in (that didn't go too well, but I had a delicious pot of green tea). And then I came home and worked on school work (I get my Masters in 2 months!). Workout and Meditation. Monday:  Worked at Job #1 (the library), ran errands, workout and meditation. Tuesday:  Worked at Job #2 (corporate job, ew). Had a TERRIBLE day, but that was made better by these beautiful flowers from my SO: Wednesday:  Worked on my Grad Portfolio ALL DAY (Did I mention I get my Masters in TWO MONTHS??) ...

Writing Update

Hello everyone! Just a quick writing update before I head for vacation later this week.  There probably won't be an update next Monday, and the usual Weekly Writing Progress posts will resume in March (I'll do another quick update before then). As I've mentioned, I am in rewrites for my main project.  I finished the rewrite of chapter one (and it is somewhere just over 2,000 words). While my rewrite is going better than I anticipated (now that I know the direction that I want to go), I still find that writing long is difficult. I'm so used to writing short stories, that when I try to write something long, I know I tend to ramble. I am sure that is something that will get better the more the write and the more I practice but for right now its a fine line for me between writing not enough, and just sort of...rambling. I've never been one for what I like to call "fluffy" language. I don't like a lot of extra detail, but at the same time, this ha...

Preptober & Freaky Flash Fiction Fridays

Hello Readers! It is October, which as we know is Halloween Month!  This is any horror writers favorite time of the year for sure. I'm no exception.  But! October means a couple of other things: 1. Freaky Flash Fiction Fridays!  That's right! For the second year in a row I will be posting freaky (more like spooky, but that doesn't work with the alliteration) flash fiction stories on Fridays. This allows me to keep writing short things while I work on a novel, but it also allows you to get a taste of how I write (a little, admittedly the stories I post are unedited first drafts, but still). 2. October also means we are 31 days away from NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month).  This year, I am participating in Preptober (#preptober).  Now, if you participate in NaNoWriMo and are a pantser, you can disregard this rest of this post.  However if you are a plotter, or a mix of the two (which is what I am...though I want to be more of a plotter) then kee...