Skip to main content

Even a "Writer with a Day Job" is still a Writer

One of the things I have an issue with is introducing myself as a writer.  When I have small talk, people tend to ask "What do you do?" And I would say "I'm a student" or "I work at the library" or "I work in a copy & print shop." But I would rarely say (and still rarely say) "I'm a writer."  

Why is that?

I've published 2 sets of poems.

I've published an essay.

I've had 4 soon to be 5 short stories published.

Won 2 writing contests.

And I've even self-published a book! Not to mention my BA in writing. I've done WAY more in the writing world than I have the library world and yet I am never shy about saying "I just finished library school." or "I'm working on becoming a librarian." Again I ask:

Why is that?

I think it has to do with worth and respect.  In introductions I jump to what gives me a paycheck, what pays the bills. That's what I "do".  And it is what I do.

What I "do" is check in and out books for patrons.  What I "do" is make copies for customers.

But who I am? At my core?

I am a WRITER.

My goal is to not be so timid in introducing myself as such.  

Now that school is over, the next step is dividing my time between what I need to do, and who I am as a writer.  Thankfully, I chose a job that will serve my writing. Being a librarian puts me around people who love reading. Around hundreds or thousands of books that could serve as inspiration.  Being a librarian is the best day job a writer could ever want.  My writing will help me to be better librarian and being a librarian will help me be a better writer.

I've worked in the library for a year and a half now, not as a librarian, and I've gone leaps and bounds in discovering who I am as a writer.  

There's an old saying that goes: "Write what you know."  And while most writers would advise to not take that so literally...I can't help but realize that there is a librarian character in both of my projects.  




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Coffee Shop Chat!

What I Did This Week... This week has been super busy!   Sunday:  Had a meeting at Job #2 suuuuper early in the morning (I am NOT a morning person), and then it was off to church for the Palm Sunday service, which was awesome.  The church was freshly decorated for the season, and the children had a Palm Parade, where they walked around the block, waving their new palms around.  Super cute.  Then, I went to the coffee shop to TRY to get some writing in (that didn't go too well, but I had a delicious pot of green tea). And then I came home and worked on school work (I get my Masters in 2 months!). Workout and Meditation. Monday:  Worked at Job #1 (the library), ran errands, workout and meditation. Tuesday:  Worked at Job #2 (corporate job, ew). Had a TERRIBLE day, but that was made better by these beautiful flowers from my SO: Wednesday:  Worked on my Grad Portfolio ALL DAY (Did I mention I get my Masters in TWO MONTHS??) ...

Hold on to your butts, this is a long one.

I've been thinking a lot lately about creative nonfiction - and that's probably due to the fact that for the first time in 7(?) years, I have been inspired by people.  Real life people. I took my first creative nonfiction class in community college because it was a term I had never heard before.  How on Earth could an essay be creative? But it opened up this new world to me, a world of memoir and a level of thought that I needed and ended up thriving on. the first creative essay I wrote landed me a spot reading in a swanky art gallery surrounded by middle aged, well dressed academics drinking wine (which was, and still is my measurement of success). I continued taking creative nonfiction as a writing major at Southern Oregon University. I got A;s, I was told I could easily be a biographer or a memoirist, or essayist writing for any number of journals, and yet, for some reason, I stopped. I attended Grad School where I studied Library Science, not just because I wanted to b...

Writing Update

Hello everyone! Just a quick writing update before I head for vacation later this week.  There probably won't be an update next Monday, and the usual Weekly Writing Progress posts will resume in March (I'll do another quick update before then). As I've mentioned, I am in rewrites for my main project.  I finished the rewrite of chapter one (and it is somewhere just over 2,000 words). While my rewrite is going better than I anticipated (now that I know the direction that I want to go), I still find that writing long is difficult. I'm so used to writing short stories, that when I try to write something long, I know I tend to ramble. I am sure that is something that will get better the more the write and the more I practice but for right now its a fine line for me between writing not enough, and just sort of...rambling. I've never been one for what I like to call "fluffy" language. I don't like a lot of extra detail, but at the same time, this ha...