Skip to main content

Movie Review: Mother!

Oh my goodness y'all.  This movie is a roller coaster! It's hard for me to say that I "liked" it. But I didn't...not like it.



It's a bizarre, metaphorical movie.

This movie doesn't take place in any specific place or time. It takes place in a large home in the middle of nowhere, and starts with 2 newlyweds, not named, just referred to as Him and Mother. What we know in the beginning is that they are newly married, and he is a poet and she is renovating the house.  There was a fire, and Jennifer Lawrence's character is rebuilding the house from the ground up.

Then, a man shows up. He says that someone directed him to this house thinking it was a bed and breakfast. "Him" says that The Man can stay the night, even though Mother seems to not want a stranger in her home (understandably). The next day, a Woman shows up, she happens to be The Man's wife. She is mostly insufferable. She pry's into their relationship, she drinks a lot, she's messy, she's terrible.  Mother wants the couple to leave, "Him" wants them to stay. The only rule that he has though, is that they don't touch the glass/diamond object in his office.  It is alluded to that it is the source of his poetic creativity. But, The Man and The Woman break it anyway. It shatters on the floor. This crushes "Him".

The next day, (maybe? Time is very confusing in this movie) The Man and The Woman's sons arrive, fighting.  They are arguing about what The Man is leaving them in the will. They fight and one of the brothers kills the other. Is this sounding familiar? It's at this point that some biblical themes should be coming to mind, even if you're not a "churchy" person.

When the brother dies more people show up at the house to remember his death. This makes Mother very uncomfortable. She eventually kicks everyone out. Mother and "Him" sleep together. She wakes up the next day knowing she's pregnant.

This throws Him into a creative fury. He writes a best selling poem. To celebrate, Mother creates a nice dinner, only to have hundreds of people show up on their lawn that night to praise Him and his poem. As more people show up they start invading the house and Mother tries to barricade herself from all of the chaos. As more people intrude, their behavior gets worse. They start breaking things, stealing things, and tearing the home apart.

Mother goes into labor. She gives birth The group outside the door demand to see the new baby, but Mother wants to have quiet time alone with just her husband and her new son. When she falls asleep though her husband takes the baby out to show the crowd who takes the baby and starts passing it around recklessly which breaks the babies neck. Mother goes out into the crowd to try to retrieve her son only to find that they were eating him.

The crowd just turns on Mother and starts beating her until Him intervenes. Mother escapes and sets the house ablaze, burning the crowd, the house, and herself.

"Him" carries her burnt dying body to their bedroom, where he literally reaches into her heart and pulls out a new diamond orb, much like the one that The Man and The Woman broke. In a bed a new Mother wakes up. Showing us that the cycle is going to repeat.

This movie is intense. the whole movie is just tense and later it becomes even more stressful and very very graphic.  I shouldn't have to say it, but of course a movie that has a baby eating scene is graphic.

The metaphors are obvious, but I think creatively done in parts. The Adam & Eve thing and Cain and Abel were a little in your face, but Mother being the earth and Him being God was done well.  It was really poignant when Mother asked someone why they were tearing the house apart and their response was "to show that we were here". It says a lot about the destruction that humans have done to the earth without also making us feel bad about it.

This is an art meets horror kind of film.  It's not jumpscares. It's a little gore.  But it's a LOT of tense feelings.  I felt like I was holding my breath during the whole movie. And when I thought that something bad would happen, something bad would happen but it would take off in a direction that I didn't expect.

This is a weird movie.  That's the honest truth. But I think it is worth the watch.  I think it is worth the watch with friends and then have a discussion afterwards.

Until Next Time,
Memento Mori
&;

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Coffee Shop Chat!

What I Did This Week... This week has been super busy!   Sunday:  Had a meeting at Job #2 suuuuper early in the morning (I am NOT a morning person), and then it was off to church for the Palm Sunday service, which was awesome.  The church was freshly decorated for the season, and the children had a Palm Parade, where they walked around the block, waving their new palms around.  Super cute.  Then, I went to the coffee shop to TRY to get some writing in (that didn't go too well, but I had a delicious pot of green tea). And then I came home and worked on school work (I get my Masters in 2 months!). Workout and Meditation. Monday:  Worked at Job #1 (the library), ran errands, workout and meditation. Tuesday:  Worked at Job #2 (corporate job, ew). Had a TERRIBLE day, but that was made better by these beautiful flowers from my SO: Wednesday:  Worked on my Grad Portfolio ALL DAY (Did I mention I get my Masters in TWO MONTHS??) Thursday:  Got to spend the who

Real Talk: Writers Resistance

So you'll notice in Monday's stats blog that I won't have a lot to write about.  I haven't made a lot of progress. I've hit resistance.  I won't call it writers block for a lot of reasons, but mostly because I HAVE ideas.  I have good ideas. But I've hit this type of resistance before. You see, I've been trying to write a novel forever.  I remember starting to try to write novels in high school, and then for various reasons, I kinda gave up writing all together for a few years, and then fell back in love with it when I transferred to Southern Oregon University.  But, I gave up novel writing.  I wrote (and still write) short stories.  I've published short stories, I make money (sometimes...very much sometimes) writing short stories.  I'm good at it, and for a long time I gave up again on the idea of writing a novel Until I went to library school.  I guess being around all of those novels, and talking about novels, and helping people find n

The blog has moved!

You can see my blog posts every Saturday here I'll keep the old site up for a while to allow people to catch up. See you in the new place!