Skip to main content

Deep Waters and Deep Writing

Get ready folks, this is gonna be kind of a long one.

Also, for those who only prefer to read about my writing and not so much my political and spiritual life, scroll down.  I'll get there eventually.

So I've been thinking a lot about water lately.  My dreams have been full of it, I've been drinking a lot of it, and since it's January in Oregon, there's just a lot of it around.

Water has a lot of symbolism.

America's new President was sworn in earlier this week and as it was happening, it started to rain.  Many people thought it was a sign from God.  A positive thing.  Of course the reason behind this wasn't something divine.  It has to do with precipitation and clouds, I remember at least that much from public school science class (I also did an interpretive dance about the water cycle in Outdoor School when I was in 6th grade). But even so, the first thought I had was a divine one.  I thought about John 11:35:

"Jesus Wept."

Counter that with Saturday, where thousands of women, children, and men marched through the streets peacefully, but with purpose, and a helluva lot of power.

Much like water, which I imagine is why groups of people are often referred to as a "sea".

And yesterday, in church, the sermon was full of water too.  Our pastor, Christina said that you don't have to have lost someone to drowning to know that water, although life giving, can be dangerous too.

But sometimes, life calls us to traverse those deep waters.

Which brings me to writing.

I've never been an outwardly political person. I've never protested, I don't debate, I hardly like to talk politics, even with those who share similar views. I always just let my votes do the work.

But I need to do more.  And as a writer, the best way is for me to write.

I'm writing more than ever lately, and I'm not holding back. I'm not letting thoughts like "This may divide my audience" or "I may get hate mail for this" or "This may make my own family mad" have any effect. I'm writing from the heart for the first time in a long time.

Words are flowing.

Like water.

Writing is giving me purpose.  Even through fiction, writers can comment on the world around us, and show the harmful effects of corrupt people of power.  It can teach people how to be strong, how to fight back, and to give hope.

But even writing isn't enough.  Especially when I'm still working on my first draft and people won't be reading it for a while.

So in the meantime, I'll be doing what I always do as a library professional.

Fight for peoples rights to say what they want.

To write what they want.

And perhaps most importantly, to read what they want.

To fight for science, for facts, for journalism.

To encourage research.

And for people to feel free enough to relay that information, through speech, through writing, through reading.

It's a cycle.

But I think I'll pass on doing an interpretive dance about this one.

I think I'll get to work.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Coffee Shop Chat!

What I Did This Week... This week has been super busy!   Sunday:  Had a meeting at Job #2 suuuuper early in the morning (I am NOT a morning person), and then it was off to church for the Palm Sunday service, which was awesome.  The church was freshly decorated for the season, and the children had a Palm Parade, where they walked around the block, waving their new palms around.  Super cute.  Then, I went to the coffee shop to TRY to get some writing in (that didn't go too well, but I had a delicious pot of green tea). And then I came home and worked on school work (I get my Masters in 2 months!). Workout and Meditation. Monday:  Worked at Job #1 (the library), ran errands, workout and meditation. Tuesday:  Worked at Job #2 (corporate job, ew). Had a TERRIBLE day, but that was made better by these beautiful flowers from my SO: Wednesday:  Worked on my Grad Portfolio ALL DAY (Did I mention I get my Masters in TWO MONTHS??) Thursday:  Got to spend the who

Real Talk: Writers Resistance

So you'll notice in Monday's stats blog that I won't have a lot to write about.  I haven't made a lot of progress. I've hit resistance.  I won't call it writers block for a lot of reasons, but mostly because I HAVE ideas.  I have good ideas. But I've hit this type of resistance before. You see, I've been trying to write a novel forever.  I remember starting to try to write novels in high school, and then for various reasons, I kinda gave up writing all together for a few years, and then fell back in love with it when I transferred to Southern Oregon University.  But, I gave up novel writing.  I wrote (and still write) short stories.  I've published short stories, I make money (sometimes...very much sometimes) writing short stories.  I'm good at it, and for a long time I gave up again on the idea of writing a novel Until I went to library school.  I guess being around all of those novels, and talking about novels, and helping people find n

The blog has moved!

You can see my blog posts every Saturday here I'll keep the old site up for a while to allow people to catch up. See you in the new place!