Skip to main content

Book Review: Astrophysics for People in a Hurry

So one of my reading resolutions for 2018 is to read outside of my comfort zone.  I joined a fantasy/sci-fi book club (even though I read very little of both of those genres), and I'm specifically trying to avoid horror (though I have a couple classics on my 2018 reading list) because I don't want it to influence my project too much. I also just think that reading outside of your comfort zone can be good. Now, as a librarian and a writer OF COURSE I have the view of "read whatever you want, don't feel like you can't read something or HAVE to read something else", but for me personally, I'm trying to take in as many different kinds of stories as possible.

So. My first book of 2018 is "Astrophysics for People in a Hurry" by Neil deGrasse Tyson



I gave this book 3 stars, which for me isn't a bad number. 3 stars in right in the middle. I liked it, it wasn't my favorite, I probably won't re-read it, but I've suggested it to a couple of people and I don't regret having read it.

Admittedly, there were parts that were a little too sciency for me.  And of course it was. I don't know why I thought "...for people in a hurry" also meant "...for people who haven't taken a science class in almost 8 years." because it doesn't.

However, that being said, it wasn't a textbook.  Even though there were concepts that I couldn't quite grasp, it didn't feel like I was doing homework. Neil deGrasse Tyson is a cool guy, and you can feel his passion in his writing.

I also enjoy and respect the fact that he can describe the creation of the universe without also shunning those with faith. For me, I both believe in Science and God (capitalization is purposeful), and this book does a great job of explaining the sciency parts without also shitting on the God part. He leaves it out, which is fine, but I have a feeling that if Bill Nye were to write this book, he would have not only described the sciency part, but would also ramble about how that is proof there is no God. Anyway. I'm rambling.

The book is just over 200 pages so it isn't daunting. It can be read "in a hurry" if you still have some grasp on your science classes from college, but for me, it took me a few weeks to finish it.  I do the bulk of my reading in bed before falling asleep, and this book isn't the best for that, I wanted to be more awake to try to process all the science (and there is one mathy bit that I skipped entirely.  Library Science is a soft science guys! #sorrynotsorry).

That's it!

Next week is all movie reviews, so get ready for that.

Memento Mori
&;

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Coffee Shop Chat!

What I Did This Week... This week has been super busy!   Sunday:  Had a meeting at Job #2 suuuuper early in the morning (I am NOT a morning person), and then it was off to church for the Palm Sunday service, which was awesome.  The church was freshly decorated for the season, and the children had a Palm Parade, where they walked around the block, waving their new palms around.  Super cute.  Then, I went to the coffee shop to TRY to get some writing in (that didn't go too well, but I had a delicious pot of green tea). And then I came home and worked on school work (I get my Masters in 2 months!). Workout and Meditation. Monday:  Worked at Job #1 (the library), ran errands, workout and meditation. Tuesday:  Worked at Job #2 (corporate job, ew). Had a TERRIBLE day, but that was made better by these beautiful flowers from my SO: Wednesday:  Worked on my Grad Portfolio ALL DAY (Did I mention I get my Masters in TWO MONTHS??) Thursday:  Got to spend the who

Real Talk: Writers Resistance

So you'll notice in Monday's stats blog that I won't have a lot to write about.  I haven't made a lot of progress. I've hit resistance.  I won't call it writers block for a lot of reasons, but mostly because I HAVE ideas.  I have good ideas. But I've hit this type of resistance before. You see, I've been trying to write a novel forever.  I remember starting to try to write novels in high school, and then for various reasons, I kinda gave up writing all together for a few years, and then fell back in love with it when I transferred to Southern Oregon University.  But, I gave up novel writing.  I wrote (and still write) short stories.  I've published short stories, I make money (sometimes...very much sometimes) writing short stories.  I'm good at it, and for a long time I gave up again on the idea of writing a novel Until I went to library school.  I guess being around all of those novels, and talking about novels, and helping people find n

The blog has moved!

You can see my blog posts every Saturday here I'll keep the old site up for a while to allow people to catch up. See you in the new place!