Skip to main content

Preptober & Freaky Flash Fiction Fridays

Hello Readers!

It is October, which as we know is Halloween Month!  This is any horror writers favorite time of the year for sure. I'm no exception. 

But! October means a couple of other things:

1. Freaky Flash Fiction Fridays!  That's right! For the second year in a row I will be posting freaky (more like spooky, but that doesn't work with the alliteration) flash fiction stories on Fridays. This allows me to keep writing short things while I work on a novel, but it also allows you to get a taste of how I write (a little, admittedly the stories I post are unedited first drafts, but still).

2. October also means we are 31 days away from NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month).  This year, I am participating in Preptober (#preptober).  Now, if you participate in NaNoWriMo and are a pantser, you can disregard this rest of this post.  However if you are a plotter, or a mix of the two (which is what I am...though I want to be more of a plotter) then keep reading.

I used to be a "by the seat of my pants" kind of writer.  And that method still works well for me when writing short or flash fiction, but I've NEVER been able to work on a novel that way.  And I've never even been able to meet my own personal goals that way.  So I am becoming a plotter. 

I think I've mentioned it in other posts before, but plotting is fairly new to me, so I almost need an outline to be able to outline. SO I am participating in Preptober this year to allow me to get in a good place for NaNoWriMo and my writing goals in general.

Real talk: I've had a rough August/September.  I had to put down my cat of 15 years, I didn't get the dream job I interviewed for, and just fell out of touch with the things that mean the most to me.  So I'm getting back into my good habits and Preptober is a good way to do it.

You can participate in Preptober too! There are a couple of handy calendars that you can download but basically this is how it breaks down:

Week 1: Character
Week 2: Setting
Week 3: Scene (think of this as jotting down the major scenes that need to happen)
Week 4: Plot

If there is anything worth sharing about my plotting, I will here, otherwise come back on Friday for a spooky story!

Until next time,

B Strong
Memento Mori
&;

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Coffee Shop Chat!

What I Did This Week... This week has been super busy!   Sunday:  Had a meeting at Job #2 suuuuper early in the morning (I am NOT a morning person), and then it was off to church for the Palm Sunday service, which was awesome.  The church was freshly decorated for the season, and the children had a Palm Parade, where they walked around the block, waving their new palms around.  Super cute.  Then, I went to the coffee shop to TRY to get some writing in (that didn't go too well, but I had a delicious pot of green tea). And then I came home and worked on school work (I get my Masters in 2 months!). Workout and Meditation. Monday:  Worked at Job #1 (the library), ran errands, workout and meditation. Tuesday:  Worked at Job #2 (corporate job, ew). Had a TERRIBLE day, but that was made better by these beautiful flowers from my SO: Wednesday:  Worked on my Grad Portfolio ALL DAY (Did I mention I get my Masters in TWO MONTHS??) Thursday:  Got to spend the who

Real Talk: Writers Resistance

So you'll notice in Monday's stats blog that I won't have a lot to write about.  I haven't made a lot of progress. I've hit resistance.  I won't call it writers block for a lot of reasons, but mostly because I HAVE ideas.  I have good ideas. But I've hit this type of resistance before. You see, I've been trying to write a novel forever.  I remember starting to try to write novels in high school, and then for various reasons, I kinda gave up writing all together for a few years, and then fell back in love with it when I transferred to Southern Oregon University.  But, I gave up novel writing.  I wrote (and still write) short stories.  I've published short stories, I make money (sometimes...very much sometimes) writing short stories.  I'm good at it, and for a long time I gave up again on the idea of writing a novel Until I went to library school.  I guess being around all of those novels, and talking about novels, and helping people find n

The blog has moved!

You can see my blog posts every Saturday here I'll keep the old site up for a while to allow people to catch up. See you in the new place!