Skip to main content

Updates and Suggestions!

Hello, Hello!

Lets start with some updates:

It's Camp NaNoWriMo!  I set a goal for myself to get my project to 10,000 words.  I'm at 4470 right now.  This month is a crazy work month for me (Medford Comic Con is gonna be awesome though), so I'm not sure I'll hit my 10,000 BUT I am chugging along.  Squeezing in words as best as I can.

Okay, now on to some suggestions!

PODCASTS

I am a huuuuuge fan of podcasts.  In fact, I haven't listened to music in....months? because I am constantly listening to podcasts and audio books.  I've recently discovered some new podcasts.




I. LOVE. True Crime.  I have loved true crime forever.  I collect all of the Time Magazines about Serial Killers.  I have books on serial killers, I have an encyclopedia of violent crime, I watch True Crime shows, etc. etc. etc.

This is a true crime podcast, but what makes this one great (to me) are the hosts.  It is hosted by two smart, savvy, fun, ladies.  They chat about murder like some girls chat about boys.  They remind their listeners to "stay sexy and not get murdered" but also deliver some really interesting insight on crime and punishment and life in general.

There are A LOT of episodes, and I haven't personally gotten entirely caught up yet, but I'm enjoying them a lot so far.  PLUS they've started doing live shows! Something I definitely want to check out.

 
 
So take everything that I said above, but minus the live shows (for now) and add wine.  Think you can't pair wine with murder? You're wrong.
 
PLUS there are only 10 episodes currently, so you can catch up really quick. 
 
What I especially like about this podcast (aside from the funny ladies) is that each episode has a general theme (like...cults for example) and they start by giving a rundown on the definition of that theme (what makes a cult, what makes a cult different than a mainstream religion etc.) and then each lady brings in their own separate story or case to fit that definition.  So if you don't know much about true crime, but kinda want a laid back way to get into it, this is a good podcast to start with.
 
 
 
 
This is not a true crime podcast.  But, as you can tell, I really like to break down the stereotype that women can't or "aren't supposed to" talk about scary things.  Even if those scary things are kinda cheesy.
 
I wrote on Twitter that this podcast is like being part of the book club of my dreams.  In this podcast, they discuss/review/rant about YA horror novels. Specifically ones from the 80s/90s.  Not only is this nostalgic for me, to go back and evaluate the books I read as a teen, but it is also interesting to see how teen horror has evolved over the years.
 
They are going through the entire Christopher Pike canon right now, but there are a few non Christopher Pike books thrown in.  


I like to read the books they discuss ahead of time so I can have the books fresh in my mind. But I think this podcast is a good listen for anyone who likes to read YA horror, or has read these books growing up. 

 
 
I'm not going to go too in depth with this one because 1. I'm not finished with it (its only 7 episodes in total) and 2. I want to write a piece at length about this one. I think it will tie in with my series on Southern/American Gothic that is coming up.
 
What I will say about this podcast is that it is beautiful.  It made me laugh.  It made me cry.  And most of all it made me think about a lot of things.  It made me feel a lot of things.  The other podcasts listed above are great and fun, but this one.  This is something else. 
 
 
 
DOCUMENTARIES
 
 
 
This is a true crime documentary about two young girls who attempted to kill their friend to please Slenderman. 
 
Need I say more?
 
 
OTHER
 


Rick and Morty is a cartoon on adult swim. So its not for kids.  But aside from this having some crude/adult humor, it will make you feel things.  This show is funny, weird, smart, and oddly moving. 

Season 3 comes out this summer, I recommend you binge watch Seasons 1 & 2 until then. 



Okay! That's all for now!

Memento Mori.
&;



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Coffee Shop Chat!

What I Did This Week... This week has been super busy!   Sunday:  Had a meeting at Job #2 suuuuper early in the morning (I am NOT a morning person), and then it was off to church for the Palm Sunday service, which was awesome.  The church was freshly decorated for the season, and the children had a Palm Parade, where they walked around the block, waving their new palms around.  Super cute.  Then, I went to the coffee shop to TRY to get some writing in (that didn't go too well, but I had a delicious pot of green tea). And then I came home and worked on school work (I get my Masters in 2 months!). Workout and Meditation. Monday:  Worked at Job #1 (the library), ran errands, workout and meditation. Tuesday:  Worked at Job #2 (corporate job, ew). Had a TERRIBLE day, but that was made better by these beautiful flowers from my SO: Wednesday:  Worked on my Grad Portfolio ALL DAY (Did I mention I get my Masters in TWO MONTHS??) Thursday:  Got to spend the who

Real Talk: Writers Resistance

So you'll notice in Monday's stats blog that I won't have a lot to write about.  I haven't made a lot of progress. I've hit resistance.  I won't call it writers block for a lot of reasons, but mostly because I HAVE ideas.  I have good ideas. But I've hit this type of resistance before. You see, I've been trying to write a novel forever.  I remember starting to try to write novels in high school, and then for various reasons, I kinda gave up writing all together for a few years, and then fell back in love with it when I transferred to Southern Oregon University.  But, I gave up novel writing.  I wrote (and still write) short stories.  I've published short stories, I make money (sometimes...very much sometimes) writing short stories.  I'm good at it, and for a long time I gave up again on the idea of writing a novel Until I went to library school.  I guess being around all of those novels, and talking about novels, and helping people find n

The blog has moved!

You can see my blog posts every Saturday here I'll keep the old site up for a while to allow people to catch up. See you in the new place!