Skip to main content

The Real Horror

I'm scheduled to write a blog post today on the literary history of the horror genre, but I just can't focus.

My country elected a monster.  Someone who is a bully, and ran his entire campaign on hate speech and fear mongering.

I based the villain in my novel on him.  And now he is our President.  And I want so much to scrap my project because I write fiction. Not Nonfiction.

I haven't slept. I've barely eaten. I've almost thrown up. I've cried. A lot.  And what makes it worse is that half of my family, maybe even more, voted for him.

I've always been politically divided from my family.  But most of the time during election season we just agree to not talk politics, and we continue to be a loving happy family. Because most of the time its policy that we disagree on.  And that's okay.  That's what makes us human.  I don't want people to agree with me all the time. I don't want to live in an echo chamber.

But not this time.  This time its personal.  This time, I blocked family on Facebook.  I argued.  I am having a hard time separating them from their vote, because the man they voted for doesn't give a shit about me.  Or POC, or Latinx people, or LGBTQ people, or people with disabilities.  They say he cares about working middle class, but what the hell does he know about them? Has he worked 60 hours at a job that he hates to support his family? Because that's the life I grew up in, and we sure as hell didn't have his beliefs.  We would never associate ourselves with people who yell "Hang the N***ger" and get cheers.  But our new president does.

I will never understand.  And I don't know if I can ever forgive. I hope so.  I hope this anger goes away.  Because I miss my loving happy family.

How did we go from the first African American President to one who was endorsed by the KKK?

How. On. Earth. Did. This. Happen?

I don't know when I'll post again, to be honest.

Until next time, stay well.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Coffee Shop Chat!

What I Did This Week... This week has been super busy!   Sunday:  Had a meeting at Job #2 suuuuper early in the morning (I am NOT a morning person), and then it was off to church for the Palm Sunday service, which was awesome.  The church was freshly decorated for the season, and the children had a Palm Parade, where they walked around the block, waving their new palms around.  Super cute.  Then, I went to the coffee shop to TRY to get some writing in (that didn't go too well, but I had a delicious pot of green tea). And then I came home and worked on school work (I get my Masters in 2 months!). Workout and Meditation. Monday:  Worked at Job #1 (the library), ran errands, workout and meditation. Tuesday:  Worked at Job #2 (corporate job, ew). Had a TERRIBLE day, but that was made better by these beautiful flowers from my SO: Wednesday:  Worked on my Grad Portfolio ALL DAY (Did I mention I get my Masters in TWO MONTHS??) Thursday:  Got to spend the who

Real Talk: Writers Resistance

So you'll notice in Monday's stats blog that I won't have a lot to write about.  I haven't made a lot of progress. I've hit resistance.  I won't call it writers block for a lot of reasons, but mostly because I HAVE ideas.  I have good ideas. But I've hit this type of resistance before. You see, I've been trying to write a novel forever.  I remember starting to try to write novels in high school, and then for various reasons, I kinda gave up writing all together for a few years, and then fell back in love with it when I transferred to Southern Oregon University.  But, I gave up novel writing.  I wrote (and still write) short stories.  I've published short stories, I make money (sometimes...very much sometimes) writing short stories.  I'm good at it, and for a long time I gave up again on the idea of writing a novel Until I went to library school.  I guess being around all of those novels, and talking about novels, and helping people find n

The blog has moved!

You can see my blog posts every Saturday here I'll keep the old site up for a while to allow people to catch up. See you in the new place!