Skip to main content

Writing Project Update

I don't have any numbers for you this time, I will next time though.

I do have a pretty dramatic (okay, maybe not dramatic to you) update about my project.  When I was writing that short post about horror subgenres I mentioned that my current piece is mostly apocolyptic horror with a sprinkle of occult horror mixed in.

Well, my biggest struggle with my project has been that I haven't thought that it was scary enough, or scary at all.  And I think that is because I was writing within a subgenre that I don't think is all that scary.  Apocolyptic horror doesn't really scare me.  Occult horror definitely does.  So, I have decided to make a tonal shift.  I am going to make my novel an occult horror with some themes of apocolyptic horror sprinkled in.  The world isn't going to end, but the world as my characters know it, will, and this will be at the hand of a cult like entity.  This also allows for the slight supernatural elements of my story to be scarier and less out of place, and for my main supernatural character to be...spookier.

I think I was trying to be too...commercial? I dunno.  I know that what I was writing just wasn't 100% me.  I was proud of all the work I put into my outline, and I like my characters, and where the story takes place, but I am also glad that I made this realization and I allowed myself to think "Wait, this isn't really what I want to write" without either scrapping the project all together (which is what I usually do) or forcing myself to write it just because its how my outline was. Ultimately, the bigger parts of my plot are still there, but a massive tonal shift will be taking place.

I am very glad that I realized this in Act I and not...like...Act III.  This does mean though, that editing Act I is gonna double (maybe triple) in workload, but that's okay.

Originally, according to my previous outline, Act I was gonna be 8 chapters, but I am reducing that to 7 (for now) because my previous chapter 7 is just not gonna fit the new tone at all, and I don't want to write a chapter that will ultimately get cut.  So I have 1 more chapter to write before Act I is over, which is suuuper exciting to me.

I'm also cutting out some other things that I've forced into my story, but ultimately feel forced and cliche, and won't really change the plot of the story much at all.  So, I think I can finish Act I this weekend, which will leave all of November for me to walk away from it, work on something else, and then be able to come back to it in December and start making those changes that I want to make. I want to step away for a month because it will allow me to sort of forget my project and I can come back to it with a more critical eye.

I won't talk about my 2017 writing goals just yet, but I'm really excited for 2017 overall.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Coffee Shop Chat!

What I Did This Week... This week has been super busy!   Sunday:  Had a meeting at Job #2 suuuuper early in the morning (I am NOT a morning person), and then it was off to church for the Palm Sunday service, which was awesome.  The church was freshly decorated for the season, and the children had a Palm Parade, where they walked around the block, waving their new palms around.  Super cute.  Then, I went to the coffee shop to TRY to get some writing in (that didn't go too well, but I had a delicious pot of green tea). And then I came home and worked on school work (I get my Masters in 2 months!). Workout and Meditation. Monday:  Worked at Job #1 (the library), ran errands, workout and meditation. Tuesday:  Worked at Job #2 (corporate job, ew). Had a TERRIBLE day, but that was made better by these beautiful flowers from my SO: Wednesday:  Worked on my Grad Portfolio ALL DAY (Did I mention I get my Masters in TWO MONTHS??) Thursday:  Got to spend the who

Real Talk: Writers Resistance

So you'll notice in Monday's stats blog that I won't have a lot to write about.  I haven't made a lot of progress. I've hit resistance.  I won't call it writers block for a lot of reasons, but mostly because I HAVE ideas.  I have good ideas. But I've hit this type of resistance before. You see, I've been trying to write a novel forever.  I remember starting to try to write novels in high school, and then for various reasons, I kinda gave up writing all together for a few years, and then fell back in love with it when I transferred to Southern Oregon University.  But, I gave up novel writing.  I wrote (and still write) short stories.  I've published short stories, I make money (sometimes...very much sometimes) writing short stories.  I'm good at it, and for a long time I gave up again on the idea of writing a novel Until I went to library school.  I guess being around all of those novels, and talking about novels, and helping people find n

The blog has moved!

You can see my blog posts every Saturday here I'll keep the old site up for a while to allow people to catch up. See you in the new place!