Skip to main content

Subgenres in Horror

So last time I posted a horror blog I talked about the 3 main categories of Horror, but there are even more subgenres of horror that can fall under any of the 3 main categories.  I can't possibly list them all, but I will go through some of the most popular ones and some of my favorites.
Rural Horror: This one is pretty self-explanatory but what makes this unique is it tends to also include local legends, or myths, or superstition.  I'm a huge fan of this one.  I'm sort of regretting having my current project be set in the city, but it just can't work any other way.  However, all of my short stories take place in rural America.  There is just something scary about the middle of nowhere country that I love, even though it's kind of a cliche.
Apocalyptic Horror: This deals with the end of the world. Not much more to say about that.  My current project has hints of this.  It isn't apocalyptic in the sense that the world is destroyed and in ruins, but rather its the end of the world in  its current state.
Crime Horror: Combines horror elements with detective and crime elements.  The horror is created by the criminal villain and the horror comes from the tension of the chase. It's very much a good guy vs. bad guy kinda horror.  Also known as 'Thriller'. 
Occult Horror:  This is probably my favorite horror subgenre and I am incorporating a lot more of this in my current project and future projects.  This focuses on exorcism, cults, curses etc.  This is also the scariest type of horror to me.  I'm not sure why, but its something that I've realized recently. 
Psychological Horror: This is a very internal form of horror and usually revolves around the internal feelings of the protagonist.  Oftentimes there is no villain or monsters, but rather you are simply left questioning whether or not what is happening is real, or whether the protagonist is emotionally stable.
Visceral Horror:  This is gore.  It's full of blood and brutality.  I think visceral can work.  I think it can't be the only thing.  But, I do think it can work well if done right.  I haven't been able to really master this yet, but I did a pretty good job in my most recent short story that will be coming out this fall.  But even then, I only had one visceral moment and used other things to create horror during the rest of the story. 
Anyway.  There are MANY other subgenres of horror but these are some of the major ones that even the most casual horror lover will come across.  I'm not sure what my blogging schedule will be like next week.  I have a BUSY week.  I have like 4 meetings, plus my 2 jobs so.....posts might be really short next week. 
Til next time. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Coffee Shop Chat!

What I Did This Week... This week has been super busy!   Sunday:  Had a meeting at Job #2 suuuuper early in the morning (I am NOT a morning person), and then it was off to church for the Palm Sunday service, which was awesome.  The church was freshly decorated for the season, and the children had a Palm Parade, where they walked around the block, waving their new palms around.  Super cute.  Then, I went to the coffee shop to TRY to get some writing in (that didn't go too well, but I had a delicious pot of green tea). And then I came home and worked on school work (I get my Masters in 2 months!). Workout and Meditation. Monday:  Worked at Job #1 (the library), ran errands, workout and meditation. Tuesday:  Worked at Job #2 (corporate job, ew). Had a TERRIBLE day, but that was made better by these beautiful flowers from my SO: Wednesday:  Worked on my Grad Portfolio ALL DAY (Did I mention I get my Masters in TWO MONTHS??) Thursday:  Got to spend the who

Real Talk: Writers Resistance

So you'll notice in Monday's stats blog that I won't have a lot to write about.  I haven't made a lot of progress. I've hit resistance.  I won't call it writers block for a lot of reasons, but mostly because I HAVE ideas.  I have good ideas. But I've hit this type of resistance before. You see, I've been trying to write a novel forever.  I remember starting to try to write novels in high school, and then for various reasons, I kinda gave up writing all together for a few years, and then fell back in love with it when I transferred to Southern Oregon University.  But, I gave up novel writing.  I wrote (and still write) short stories.  I've published short stories, I make money (sometimes...very much sometimes) writing short stories.  I'm good at it, and for a long time I gave up again on the idea of writing a novel Until I went to library school.  I guess being around all of those novels, and talking about novels, and helping people find n

The blog has moved!

You can see my blog posts every Saturday here I'll keep the old site up for a while to allow people to catch up. See you in the new place!