Skip to main content

My outline process

So I have been having a few people ask me some questions about my specific outlining process, and I always have to remind people that I didn't have one.  I don't know if I DO have one.  I'm working on the first project I have ever outlined, so I can't say I have a "process" but here is what I did.

I started with a "what if" question.  This isn't anything different from my normal writing process.  But with short stories I come up with my "what if?" question and then start writing.  With a novel, I went a little further.

Next, I wrote a quick plot summary. If someone were to ask me "what happens in your book?" This is what I would tell them. It contains all the big parts, but isn't very exhaustive.

Then, I wrote the detailed plot summary.  This goes beyond just the "what happens" situation.  This is the summary you would write if there was a book report assignment for your book.

After that, I wrote out all of the history and the lore.  Stuff that happened BEFORE when my book starts.  What political systems are in place, how did they get there, what year is it? etc.

Then I wrote a "stuff that needs to happen" list.  This part is pretty simple.  It lists all the things in order that need to happen. For example:

1. Reader meets main character

2. Reader meets secondary character

3. Characters need to meet each other.

and so on.

Now, I didn't add the in-between bits. The HOW of all of those things.  It just acts as a quick list for me to look to when I'm like "So...what should I be doing?" which happens a lot.

After that, I made a list of things that need to happen in Act I.  Here is my list:


  • The set up
  • Establishing mood/tone
  • The hook
  • The stakes
  • introducing the main cast
  • introducing the villain
  • Establishing of theme
  • The turning point
So I went through my list and and figured out which of those things took me up to the "turning point".  Once I discovered that, I did my scene by scene outline for ALL of Act 1 of my novel.

For each scene I listed out some things:

Characters
Setting
Mood/Tone
Scene Objective

This acts as the in between bits that I didn't have earlier.

Then I took those scenes and separated them into chapters.  It should take me 8 chapters to get through Act 1.

Once I'm done writing Act 1, I will go through outlining Act 2. I already have my "stuff that needs to happen" list, so I just need to figure out which of those things will carry me through the second act, and then I will write my scene by scene outline, and break that down in chapters, and write.  Then do the same thing with Act 3.

I can't say if this is the best method.  However, it is working well for me so far. Maybe this structured method can help some of you writers outline your projects.  I know for me, this makes my project a lot more tangible, and less overwhelming.  I can focus on an act at a time, or actually, a chapter at a time which is nice.  I have a bunch of little goals that will come together to complete a bigger one.

Now, I'm off to write!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Coffee Shop Chat!

What I Did This Week... This week has been super busy!   Sunday:  Had a meeting at Job #2 suuuuper early in the morning (I am NOT a morning person), and then it was off to church for the Palm Sunday service, which was awesome.  The church was freshly decorated for the season, and the children had a Palm Parade, where they walked around the block, waving their new palms around.  Super cute.  Then, I went to the coffee shop to TRY to get some writing in (that didn't go too well, but I had a delicious pot of green tea). And then I came home and worked on school work (I get my Masters in 2 months!). Workout and Meditation. Monday:  Worked at Job #1 (the library), ran errands, workout and meditation. Tuesday:  Worked at Job #2 (corporate job, ew). Had a TERRIBLE day, but that was made better by these beautiful flowers from my SO: Wednesday:  Worked on my Grad Portfolio ALL DAY (Did I mention I get my Masters in TWO MONTHS??) Thursday:  Got to spend the who

Real Talk: Writers Resistance

So you'll notice in Monday's stats blog that I won't have a lot to write about.  I haven't made a lot of progress. I've hit resistance.  I won't call it writers block for a lot of reasons, but mostly because I HAVE ideas.  I have good ideas. But I've hit this type of resistance before. You see, I've been trying to write a novel forever.  I remember starting to try to write novels in high school, and then for various reasons, I kinda gave up writing all together for a few years, and then fell back in love with it when I transferred to Southern Oregon University.  But, I gave up novel writing.  I wrote (and still write) short stories.  I've published short stories, I make money (sometimes...very much sometimes) writing short stories.  I'm good at it, and for a long time I gave up again on the idea of writing a novel Until I went to library school.  I guess being around all of those novels, and talking about novels, and helping people find n

The blog has moved!

You can see my blog posts every Saturday here I'll keep the old site up for a while to allow people to catch up. See you in the new place!