Skip to main content

Loving The Sinner And Not The Sin Is Easy When You Don't Think of Love As A Sin

In light of the tragedy in Orlando a couple of weeks ago, I thought I would write a little something here to combat the hateful religious rhetoric that is all over the place lately.

So I have been secular for most of my life.  My parents never raised me in a church, and other than going to the churches that my friends went to after a slumber party, I never really went, or had much interest in going.  I considered myself somewhere between spiritual and agnostic, and loved the history of the earth based religions (like Paganism) because they showed value of the Earth that we live on.

I honestly can't say when I became a Jesus Follower (I have a little trouble calling myself a Christian because of the baggage and drama around it), it was probably around 5 or 6 years ago, and it wasn't until this last October that I wanted to start going to church.

I'm going to say here that I don't think you need to go to church to be a good person of faith or a good person, it was just something that I wanted, mostly for 2 reasons:

1.To learn more about my faith.  I can only do so much at home by myself.

2. To be around and meet new people.  I often felt (feel) lonely, so just being in a room with a bunch of people once a week for friendly conversation and song is nice.

The hunt for a good (for me) church was hard. Most churches were very adamant about their beliefs in regards to the LGBTQIA lifestyle.  A lot of them said that they believe in the marriage between one man and one woman, so those were quick for me to dismiss.

And then a lot of them said that they allow people of the LGBTQIA community because they love the sinner not the sin.

I have a HUGE problem with that phrase: "Love the sinner not the sin."  It STILL says that they are doing something wrong.  I didn't feel comfortable joining a church that still held these beliefs.  I believe in love.  I don't care who you love, as long as its between two consenting individuals. I don't think its a sin, I don't think God condemns it, or cares actually.

So when I found my church, and they openly accepted and celebrated people of the LGBTQIA community, I was thrilled. My church walks in the pride parade, we don't hide behind the "love the sinner not the sin" phrase.

Loving the sinner and not the sin is easy when you don't think of love as a sin.

My church does not promote hate.  My church celebrates people.  In fact, the pastor starts every sermon with:

"Whoever you are, Wherever you are in life's journey, you are welcome here, and more than that, you are celebrated."






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Coffee Shop Chat!

What I Did This Week... This week has been super busy!   Sunday:  Had a meeting at Job #2 suuuuper early in the morning (I am NOT a morning person), and then it was off to church for the Palm Sunday service, which was awesome.  The church was freshly decorated for the season, and the children had a Palm Parade, where they walked around the block, waving their new palms around.  Super cute.  Then, I went to the coffee shop to TRY to get some writing in (that didn't go too well, but I had a delicious pot of green tea). And then I came home and worked on school work (I get my Masters in 2 months!). Workout and Meditation. Monday:  Worked at Job #1 (the library), ran errands, workout and meditation. Tuesday:  Worked at Job #2 (corporate job, ew). Had a TERRIBLE day, but that was made better by these beautiful flowers from my SO: Wednesday:  Worked on my Grad Portfolio ALL DAY (Did I mention I get my Masters in TWO MONTHS??) Thursday:  Got to spend the who

Real Talk: Writers Resistance

So you'll notice in Monday's stats blog that I won't have a lot to write about.  I haven't made a lot of progress. I've hit resistance.  I won't call it writers block for a lot of reasons, but mostly because I HAVE ideas.  I have good ideas. But I've hit this type of resistance before. You see, I've been trying to write a novel forever.  I remember starting to try to write novels in high school, and then for various reasons, I kinda gave up writing all together for a few years, and then fell back in love with it when I transferred to Southern Oregon University.  But, I gave up novel writing.  I wrote (and still write) short stories.  I've published short stories, I make money (sometimes...very much sometimes) writing short stories.  I'm good at it, and for a long time I gave up again on the idea of writing a novel Until I went to library school.  I guess being around all of those novels, and talking about novels, and helping people find n

The blog has moved!

You can see my blog posts every Saturday here I'll keep the old site up for a while to allow people to catch up. See you in the new place!