Skip to main content

Writer goals and a schedule.

Hello Readers!

So I am officially done with school, which has me thinking a lot about my life as a writer.  I don't have school work or anything to deal with, and though I will be picking up more hours at work eventually (that's the goal, right? To work full time? That's what adults do?) writing is now my focus.  I am working on some writing goals and deadlines, but one of them is this blog!

I want to post as often as I can, so here is my schedule:

Monday: A Quick Writing Update.  This will be me just briefly discussing how many words I've written, what kind of editing I've done.  That kind of thing.

Friday:  Writing Blog.  This will be a longer post, discussing me as a writer, my method (do I even have one of those?) and other writing related things.

Sunday:  Faith Based Blog.  This blog is about my writing and my faith, because I believe they influence each other.  So Sunday's blog will be faith centered.

Part of the reason for me creating a schedule is so that I can keep myself accountable (and you can keep me accountable), but also so you know when you may or may not want to tune in.  Some of you may only be interested in the writing stuff, some of you might only be interested in the faith stuff, some of you (and you are my favorite) are interested in both! (Just kidding...everyone is my favorite).

So, now that school is over, and I'm working...I'm not a writer with a day job.  And thankfully for me, there is a book called just that.  I've heard mixed reviews about the book, but I'm giving it a shot.  The first chapter is all about setting deadlines and goals.  I'm still working on my writing goals.  But there is an activity in the first section of the book that allows you to set goals as a writer.  So I am going to post that here for today's blog post:

As a writer, I want to:
I want to inspire, scare (I write scary fiction), and impress my reader.

I want to be the kind of writer who:
Is relate-able.  Is known for her casual demeanor and yet as someone who fights for literacy and intellectual freedom.

When my readers read my work, I want them to:
Think. Enjoy a good story.  Look at something from a different perspective.

When my readers write to me, I want them to compliment my:
world building, and descriptions.

My writing goal or dream:
I want to traditionally print at least one YA novel, and I want to have a successful online YA novel. I also want to keep publishing short stories in a variety of journals and magazines.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Coffee Shop Chat!

What I Did This Week... This week has been super busy!   Sunday:  Had a meeting at Job #2 suuuuper early in the morning (I am NOT a morning person), and then it was off to church for the Palm Sunday service, which was awesome.  The church was freshly decorated for the season, and the children had a Palm Parade, where they walked around the block, waving their new palms around.  Super cute.  Then, I went to the coffee shop to TRY to get some writing in (that didn't go too well, but I had a delicious pot of green tea). And then I came home and worked on school work (I get my Masters in 2 months!). Workout and Meditation. Monday:  Worked at Job #1 (the library), ran errands, workout and meditation. Tuesday:  Worked at Job #2 (corporate job, ew). Had a TERRIBLE day, but that was made better by these beautiful flowers from my SO: Wednesday:  Worked on my Grad Portfolio ALL DAY (Did I mention I get my Masters in TWO MONTHS??) Thursday:  Got to spend the who

Real Talk: Writers Resistance

So you'll notice in Monday's stats blog that I won't have a lot to write about.  I haven't made a lot of progress. I've hit resistance.  I won't call it writers block for a lot of reasons, but mostly because I HAVE ideas.  I have good ideas. But I've hit this type of resistance before. You see, I've been trying to write a novel forever.  I remember starting to try to write novels in high school, and then for various reasons, I kinda gave up writing all together for a few years, and then fell back in love with it when I transferred to Southern Oregon University.  But, I gave up novel writing.  I wrote (and still write) short stories.  I've published short stories, I make money (sometimes...very much sometimes) writing short stories.  I'm good at it, and for a long time I gave up again on the idea of writing a novel Until I went to library school.  I guess being around all of those novels, and talking about novels, and helping people find n

The blog has moved!

You can see my blog posts every Saturday here I'll keep the old site up for a while to allow people to catch up. See you in the new place!