Skip to main content

Watering my Faith Garden through Baptism

So last Sunday, I finalized a decision I had been wanting to make for a little while now.

I got baptized.

My parents never baptized me as a child, and I am grateful for that because it allowed me to make that decision on my own.  

For me, baptism wasn't and isn't about washing away the old me.  I liked the old me.  I was still a good person without faith, before faith, and after faith.  For me, baptism was the same as watering a flower.  Having the water flow down into the roots to feed it.  It was also a physical act that would prove my faith. 

Before I got baptized, Pastor Christina asked me if I wanted to say a few words, and below is what I said in front of the congregation:

"I like to think of people as gardeners.  Every time we accomplish something in life, we plant a seed, and our experiences, and the people around us help that little seed to grow.  

For example, in 2013 I graduated from Southern Oregon University with a BA in Creative Writing. On graduation day, I planted that seed.  With every story or book I publish, that little plant grows even more.  

This evening, I will turn in my final assignment for my Master's Degree. I will have planted another seed.  As my career grows, so does that seed.

And then there is my Faith seed.  You know those little seed packets you buy at the store?  You know how they always have a picture of what the plant is supposed to look like?  My Faith never looked like the picture.  It either didn't bloom, or it didn't bloom for very long.  So I kept what few seeds I had left inside the seed packet and just carried them around.  Thinking that one day, maybe, I will be brave enough to plant them again.

And in that time, I discovered that the problem wasn't with me, or my seeds, it was in the soil that I was trying to plant them in.  And I think I've found the right soil here.  In this church.  So today I am going to plant my seed again, and water it, and nurture it here in this garden, with all of you gardeners around me.  So thank you all for keeping a plot open for me."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Coffee Shop Chat!

What I Did This Week... This week has been super busy!   Sunday:  Had a meeting at Job #2 suuuuper early in the morning (I am NOT a morning person), and then it was off to church for the Palm Sunday service, which was awesome.  The church was freshly decorated for the season, and the children had a Palm Parade, where they walked around the block, waving their new palms around.  Super cute.  Then, I went to the coffee shop to TRY to get some writing in (that didn't go too well, but I had a delicious pot of green tea). And then I came home and worked on school work (I get my Masters in 2 months!). Workout and Meditation. Monday:  Worked at Job #1 (the library), ran errands, workout and meditation. Tuesday:  Worked at Job #2 (corporate job, ew). Had a TERRIBLE day, but that was made better by these beautiful flowers from my SO: Wednesday:  Worked on my Grad Portfolio ALL DAY (Did I mention I get my Masters in TWO MONTHS??) Thursday:  Got to spend the who

Real Talk: Writers Resistance

So you'll notice in Monday's stats blog that I won't have a lot to write about.  I haven't made a lot of progress. I've hit resistance.  I won't call it writers block for a lot of reasons, but mostly because I HAVE ideas.  I have good ideas. But I've hit this type of resistance before. You see, I've been trying to write a novel forever.  I remember starting to try to write novels in high school, and then for various reasons, I kinda gave up writing all together for a few years, and then fell back in love with it when I transferred to Southern Oregon University.  But, I gave up novel writing.  I wrote (and still write) short stories.  I've published short stories, I make money (sometimes...very much sometimes) writing short stories.  I'm good at it, and for a long time I gave up again on the idea of writing a novel Until I went to library school.  I guess being around all of those novels, and talking about novels, and helping people find n

The blog has moved!

You can see my blog posts every Saturday here I'll keep the old site up for a while to allow people to catch up. See you in the new place!