Skip to main content

New Beginnings Stats

First off, never in my life did I think I would write something with the word "stats" in it.  Though Pre-Stats was the only math class that I got a B in since 5th grade.  No joke.  Math is hard guys.

Okay, so Mondays are stats days.  However, I don't have a tremendous amount of stats to share today, just some starting points, and next week the progress can be shown a little better.

Here's a little bit about my projects first.  So, I am working on 2 projects:

Haunted House (as it will be called here) and
Haunted Hotel (as it will be called here).  I know, they don't sound very original, but for now simplicity is good.

The Haunted House project I started back in October and I wrote quite a bit...but then grad school got crazy and I tucked it away for like 3 months.  During that 3 months I revised my outline, and while I didn't have to scrap the whole thing, I definitely am not just jumping in where I left off.  So I'm going through chapter by chapter, revising what I can.  Scrapping a lot.

The Haunted Hotel piece will be "published" online on wattpad. I'll link when its up.  I want to get a few chapters ahead before I start posting chapters.

Chapter Length Goals:
Haunted House: 2000-2500 words a chapter
Haunted Hotel: 1000-1500 words a chapter

Something else I will be noting here is whether or not my word counts are for handwritten or typed drafts.

I am suuuper old school and still hand write everything.  I count my words as I go and when I finish a chapter I then type it up.  Sometimes between hand written and typed drafts the word counts will differ either from my inability to count (remember the math is hard thing?) or because I tend to make small edits as I type up my handwritten drafts.

Right now, my goal is to just write write write.  My numbers should go up each week, not down.  I'm saving editing for a little later.

So here is where we are starting.

Haunted House: 2164 words.  Chapter 1 handwritten draft is done.
Next Goal:  Type up Chapter 1. Pick out the things from old chapter 2 that I want to keep, and work on re-writing the rest of chapter 2.

Haunted Hotel: 927 words.  Almost done with handwritten draft of chapter 1.
Next Goal: Finish handwritten draft of Chapter 1 and then type it up.  Start Chapter 2

Next Monday, you'll get a glimpse of what I did each day (words written.  Exercises done. etc.)  This will help me to see what my most productive days are, and what days I need to step up my game.

That's all  for now.  I'll update you all next week!

OH!  My writing based post will be on Thursday this week instead of Friday.  Someone at my work is retiring and I'll be attending the retirement party, so it will come a day early. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Coffee Shop Chat!

What I Did This Week... This week has been super busy!   Sunday:  Had a meeting at Job #2 suuuuper early in the morning (I am NOT a morning person), and then it was off to church for the Palm Sunday service, which was awesome.  The church was freshly decorated for the season, and the children had a Palm Parade, where they walked around the block, waving their new palms around.  Super cute.  Then, I went to the coffee shop to TRY to get some writing in (that didn't go too well, but I had a delicious pot of green tea). And then I came home and worked on school work (I get my Masters in 2 months!). Workout and Meditation. Monday:  Worked at Job #1 (the library), ran errands, workout and meditation. Tuesday:  Worked at Job #2 (corporate job, ew). Had a TERRIBLE day, but that was made better by these beautiful flowers from my SO: Wednesday:  Worked on my Grad Portfolio ALL DAY (Did I mention I get my Masters in TWO MONTHS??) Thursday:  Got to spend the who

Real Talk: Writers Resistance

So you'll notice in Monday's stats blog that I won't have a lot to write about.  I haven't made a lot of progress. I've hit resistance.  I won't call it writers block for a lot of reasons, but mostly because I HAVE ideas.  I have good ideas. But I've hit this type of resistance before. You see, I've been trying to write a novel forever.  I remember starting to try to write novels in high school, and then for various reasons, I kinda gave up writing all together for a few years, and then fell back in love with it when I transferred to Southern Oregon University.  But, I gave up novel writing.  I wrote (and still write) short stories.  I've published short stories, I make money (sometimes...very much sometimes) writing short stories.  I'm good at it, and for a long time I gave up again on the idea of writing a novel Until I went to library school.  I guess being around all of those novels, and talking about novels, and helping people find n

The blog has moved!

You can see my blog posts every Saturday here I'll keep the old site up for a while to allow people to catch up. See you in the new place!