Skip to main content

I'm not dead!

Hello!

I haven't fallen off the face of the planet, just busy with 2.5 jobs and trying to get some writing in. 

Actual writing trumps writing ABOUT writing.  But here is where I currently stand.

I haven't touched my main project in months which has actually been a good thing for me. I've been reading, working on short stories, and generally just thinking about who I am as a writer and that has done me a lot of good. As I grow older, I find myself really trying to take the time to think introspectively and to think about who I am now, and who I want to grow to be.  This is especially good for me while I try to craft and create my writers "voice."
 
So, let me introduce myself:

I am a horror writer. My influences come heavily from American Southern Gothic literature and American Spiritualism. 

And knowing that now, my writing is taking shape. I'm finding my voice. All this time I didn't think I had a writing voice, but I do! I have answers to questions that writers often get asked and I have a way to shape the ideas I get. 

Admittedly, I haven't gotten as far on my main project outline as I had hoped (though the month is over yet) but here is what I have done:

  • Started my novel vision board. It's looking beautiful and is inspiring to me on its own. Also. My main project will no longer take place in an Art Deco hotel but an old plantation mansion. 

  • Started the Dan Harmon story circle. This is my new favorite outlining method. It doesn't replace the scene by scene outline (which I plan on doing too) but I still like it a lot. It was created for screen writing, but the first part of it is really helpful to me. I've blogged about the technique before, so I won't ramble. 

  • I've also started listing the goals I have for the novel. Everything from "create an interesting story" to "strong female lead" and "make people feel a little uncomfortable". That way, as I'm writing I can keep looking at that list and go "am I still working towards those goals?"

  • I've also now changed my main project from a dystopia to what I call a "False Utopia". 

The rest of this month is outlining and goal setting. Next month is camp nanowrimo again so I'll be working on that project. I'm having a lot of fun with it. Though I have to remind myself that I'm writing about teens in 2017. Not teens in 2004. Everyone has a cell phone and land lines are almost obsolete. I wrote an entire scene about the phone lines going out before I realized that these girls would probably all have cell phones. Ugh. Anyway. 
 
Until next time!
 
Memento Mori
 
&;

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Coffee Shop Chat!

What I Did This Week... This week has been super busy!   Sunday:  Had a meeting at Job #2 suuuuper early in the morning (I am NOT a morning person), and then it was off to church for the Palm Sunday service, which was awesome.  The church was freshly decorated for the season, and the children had a Palm Parade, where they walked around the block, waving their new palms around.  Super cute.  Then, I went to the coffee shop to TRY to get some writing in (that didn't go too well, but I had a delicious pot of green tea). And then I came home and worked on school work (I get my Masters in 2 months!). Workout and Meditation. Monday:  Worked at Job #1 (the library), ran errands, workout and meditation. Tuesday:  Worked at Job #2 (corporate job, ew). Had a TERRIBLE day, but that was made better by these beautiful flowers from my SO: Wednesday:  Worked on my Grad Portfolio ALL DAY (Did I mention I get my Masters in TWO MONTHS??) ...

Writing Update

Hello everyone! Just a quick writing update before I head for vacation later this week.  There probably won't be an update next Monday, and the usual Weekly Writing Progress posts will resume in March (I'll do another quick update before then). As I've mentioned, I am in rewrites for my main project.  I finished the rewrite of chapter one (and it is somewhere just over 2,000 words). While my rewrite is going better than I anticipated (now that I know the direction that I want to go), I still find that writing long is difficult. I'm so used to writing short stories, that when I try to write something long, I know I tend to ramble. I am sure that is something that will get better the more the write and the more I practice but for right now its a fine line for me between writing not enough, and just sort of...rambling. I've never been one for what I like to call "fluffy" language. I don't like a lot of extra detail, but at the same time, this ha...

Preptober & Freaky Flash Fiction Fridays

Hello Readers! It is October, which as we know is Halloween Month!  This is any horror writers favorite time of the year for sure. I'm no exception.  But! October means a couple of other things: 1. Freaky Flash Fiction Fridays!  That's right! For the second year in a row I will be posting freaky (more like spooky, but that doesn't work with the alliteration) flash fiction stories on Fridays. This allows me to keep writing short things while I work on a novel, but it also allows you to get a taste of how I write (a little, admittedly the stories I post are unedited first drafts, but still). 2. October also means we are 31 days away from NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month).  This year, I am participating in Preptober (#preptober).  Now, if you participate in NaNoWriMo and are a pantser, you can disregard this rest of this post.  However if you are a plotter, or a mix of the two (which is what I am...though I want to be more of a plotter) then kee...