Skip to main content

A Psalm for Always

O God
You are in the flowers
And also in the weeds.

O God
You are in the sunshine
But also in the demolishing storm.

I was told to write a Psalm for Praise
Or
A Psalm for Lament

But even honeybees have stingers.

Why not write a Psalm for Always?

Even parents can praise their children in one sentence
And discipline them in the next.

This goes the same for you
O God

I love you when I see the good.
And there is so much good.

But I cry out “Why O God?” when I see the bad.
And there is so much bad.

Why not write a Psalm for Always?

For just as we cannot have light
Without dark.

We cannot have a God that only allows the good.

For even honeybees have stingers.

Just as so many of your followers strive for heaven outside of Earth.
There, where there is so much good.

They need to strive to create Heaven here on Earth.
Because here, there is so much bad.


And you are not just “there”
O God
In the good.

You are here
O God
In the bad.

Not just there in the flowers
But here in the weeds.

Not just there in the sunshine
But here in the storm.

Here where even honeybees have stingers.

Not just in times of Praise.
Not just in times of Lament.


But in Always.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Coffee Shop Chat!

What I Did This Week... This week has been super busy!   Sunday:  Had a meeting at Job #2 suuuuper early in the morning (I am NOT a morning person), and then it was off to church for the Palm Sunday service, which was awesome.  The church was freshly decorated for the season, and the children had a Palm Parade, where they walked around the block, waving their new palms around.  Super cute.  Then, I went to the coffee shop to TRY to get some writing in (that didn't go too well, but I had a delicious pot of green tea). And then I came home and worked on school work (I get my Masters in 2 months!). Workout and Meditation. Monday:  Worked at Job #1 (the library), ran errands, workout and meditation. Tuesday:  Worked at Job #2 (corporate job, ew). Had a TERRIBLE day, but that was made better by these beautiful flowers from my SO: Wednesday:  Worked on my Grad Portfolio ALL DAY (Did I mention I get my Masters in TWO MONTHS??) ...

Hold on to your butts, this is a long one.

I've been thinking a lot lately about creative nonfiction - and that's probably due to the fact that for the first time in 7(?) years, I have been inspired by people.  Real life people. I took my first creative nonfiction class in community college because it was a term I had never heard before.  How on Earth could an essay be creative? But it opened up this new world to me, a world of memoir and a level of thought that I needed and ended up thriving on. the first creative essay I wrote landed me a spot reading in a swanky art gallery surrounded by middle aged, well dressed academics drinking wine (which was, and still is my measurement of success). I continued taking creative nonfiction as a writing major at Southern Oregon University. I got A;s, I was told I could easily be a biographer or a memoirist, or essayist writing for any number of journals, and yet, for some reason, I stopped. I attended Grad School where I studied Library Science, not just because I wanted to b...

Writing Update

Hello everyone! Just a quick writing update before I head for vacation later this week.  There probably won't be an update next Monday, and the usual Weekly Writing Progress posts will resume in March (I'll do another quick update before then). As I've mentioned, I am in rewrites for my main project.  I finished the rewrite of chapter one (and it is somewhere just over 2,000 words). While my rewrite is going better than I anticipated (now that I know the direction that I want to go), I still find that writing long is difficult. I'm so used to writing short stories, that when I try to write something long, I know I tend to ramble. I am sure that is something that will get better the more the write and the more I practice but for right now its a fine line for me between writing not enough, and just sort of...rambling. I've never been one for what I like to call "fluffy" language. I don't like a lot of extra detail, but at the same time, this ha...